Dolphins Plus offers unique opportunities for undergraduate, graduate students, and recent college graduates, interested in obtaining practical experience in the marine mammal training field. Working in groups, as well as individually alongside our professional animal trainers, animal care staff, and research scientists, our interns delve into all aspects of day-to-day facility operations. Whether it’s assisting with our dolphin swim programs or aiding in the care of our marine mammals, Dolphins Plus interns enjoy a truly immersive and valuable start to a career in Animal Care.
- Assist staff with daily operations and procedures, including, but not limited to:
- Diet preparation
- Overseeing and participating in dolphin swim sessions
- Facility cleaning and maintenance
- Guest relations
- Guest education and public speaking
- Assisting with dolphin training sessions
- Participate in a comprehensive lecture series and complete relevant exams to evaluate progress
- Assist with multiple departments as needed, including the Photography and Education Departments
- Collect data to support ongoing Dolphins Plus research projects
It may be possible to acquire academic credit from your hosting university for the Dolphins Plus Internship. However, these opportunities and conditions vary among colleges and universities, and students are responsible for making these arrangements and clarifying the conditions for the receipt of academic credit PRIOR to arriving on-site. Once accepted to the program, interns will discuss the details for the acquisition of credit(s) with their academic advisor and will furnish the Internship Coordinator with a letter highlighting these requirements.
- Completed application (Animal Care and Training Internship Application)
- Current college transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Resume and cover letter
- Recent photograph
- Two letters of recommendation (must be sent directly from your referees to Dolphins Plus; see application form for additional details)
- Application Fee: $25 - Personal check, money order, cashier’s check (mailed with your application) or credit card are all accepted forms of payment. Those wishing to pay with a credit card may do so over the phone with our guest services department by calling (305)-451-4060.
Please mail all application materials before the application deadline listed above to:
Attn: Animal Care and Training Internship Coordinator
101900 Overseas Highway
Key Largo, FL 33037