Dolphins Plus internship program offers a unique opportunity for undergraduates, graduate students and recent college graduates interested in obtaining practical experience in the marine mammal care and training field. Working individually and in teams alongside our professional animal care staff and onsite research and education departments, interns delve into all aspects of day-to-day facility operations. From assisting with daily husbandry procedures with our resident population of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus), to collecting data for ongoing research projects, to participating in educational briefings for our daily interactive programs, interns enjoy a truly immersive educational curriculum that creates a valuable foundation for a career in animal care and training.
We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated and show strong interest in the animal care and training field. All competitive applications will be considered. No internship experience is required; however, priority will be given to applicants with relevant experience and academic backgrounds. The goal of Dolphins Plus Animal Care and Training Internship is to expose participants to the marine mammal care and training field by offering a hands-on learning experience. Our three-month internship also introduces young professionals to the privileges and responsibilities of working alongside our resident population of Atlantic bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus), as well as the important research and education opportunities made possible by zoos and aquariums.
- Assist animal care staff with daily operations including, but not limited, to:
- Facility Cleaning and Maintenance
- Diet Preparation
- Daily Husbandry Procedures
- Training and Enrichment Sessions
- Leading Daily Public Educational Presentations
- Directing Guests During Interactive Programs
- Guest Relations and Customer Service
- Data Collection, Entry and Analysis to Support Ongoing Research Projects
- Participate in a three phase, comprehensive lecture series and complete relevant exams.
- Receive constructive feedback through informal and formal evaluations.
- Earn interactive experiences as incentives for successful completion of goals and checkpoints.
Note: Handling experience is not guaranteed. Interns are required to pass two training exams in order to be considered for an introductory b-pointing opportunity with our dolphins.
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter
- Current College/University Transcripts
- Recent Photograph
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Preferably mailed with application packet (sealed with references signature over seal), but may also be emailed directly from reference to email@example.com.
Please mail all above documents, together in one packet, before the application deadline to:
Dolphins Plus Inc.
Attn: Animal Care and Training Intern Coordinator
101900 Overseas Highway
Key Largo, FL 33037